UGC NET Solved Paper I June2006
1. Which of the following comprise teaching skill:
(A) Black Board writing (B) Questioning
(C) Explaining (D) All the above
2. Which of the following statements is most appropriate?
(A) Teachers can teach.
(B) Teachers help can create in a student a desire to learn.
(C) Lecture Method can be used for developing thinking.
(D) Teachers are born.
3. The first Indian chronicler of Indian history was:
(A) Megasthanese (B) Fahiyan
(C) Huan Tsang (D) Kalhan
4. Which of the following statements is correct?
(A) Syllabus is a part of curriculum.
(B) Syllabus is an annexure to curriculum.
(C) Curriculum is the same in all educational institutions affiliated to a particularuniversity.
(D) Syllabus is not the same in all educational institutions affiliated to a particular university.
5. Which of the two given options is of the level of understanding?
(I) Define noun.
(II) Define noun in your own words.
(A) Only I (B) Only II
(C)Both I and II (D) Neither I nor II
6. Which of the following options are the main tasks of research in modern society ?
(I) to keep pace with the advancement in knowledge.
(II) to discover new things.
(III) to write a critique on the earlier writings.
(IV) to systematically examine and critically analyse the investigations/sources with objectivity.
(A) IV, II and I (B) I, II and III
(C) I and III (D) II, III and IV
7. Match List-I (Interviews) with List-II (Meaning) and select the correct answer from the code given below:
List – I (Interviews) List – II (Meaning)
(a) structured interviews (i) greater flexibility approach
(b) Unstructured interviews (ii) attention on the questions to be answered
(c) Focused interviews (iii) individual life experience
(d) Clinical interviews (iv) Pre determined question
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) (iv) (i) (ii) (iii)
(B) (ii) (iv) (i) (iii)
(C) (v) (ii) (iv) (i)
(D) (i) (iii) (v) (iv)
8. What do you consider as the main aim of inter disciplinary research?
(A) To bring out holistic approach to research.
(B) To reduce the emphasis of single subject in research domain.
(C) To over simplify the problem of research.
(D) To create a new trend in research methodology.
9. One of the aims of the scientific method in research is to :
(A)improve data interpretation (B) eliminate spurious relations
(C) confirm triangulation (D) introduce new variables
10. The depth of any research can be judged by :
(A) title of the research.
(B) objectives of the research.
(C) total expenditure on the research.
(D) duration of the research.
Read the following passage and answer the questions 11 to 15 :
The superintendence, direction and control of preparation of electoral rolls for, and the conduct of, elections to Parliament and State Legislatures and elections to the offices of the President and the Vice – President of India are vested in the Election Commission of India. It is an independent constitutional authority. Independence of the Election Commission and its insulation from executive interference is ensured by a specific provision under Article 324 (5) of the constitution that the chief Election Commissioner shall not be removed from his office except in like manner and on like grounds as a Judge of the Supreme Court and conditions of his service shall not be varied to his disadvantage after his appointment. In C.W.P. No. 4912 of 1998 (Kushra Bharat Vs. Union of India and others), the Delhi High Court directed that information relating to Government dues owed by the candidates to the departments dealing with Government accommodation, electricity, water, telephone and transport etc. and any other dues should be furnished by the candidates and this information should be published by the election authorities under the commission.
11. The text of the passage reflects or raises certain questions :
(A) The authority of the commission can not be challenged.
(B) This would help in stopping the criminalization of Indian politics.
(C) This would reduce substantially the number of contesting candidates.
(D)This would ensure fair and free elections.
12. According to the passage, the Election Commission is an independent constitutional authority.
This is under Article No.
(A) 324 (B) 356 (C) 246 (D) 161
13. Independence of the Commission means :
(A)have a constitutional status. (B) have legislative powers.
(C)have judicial powers. (D) have political powers.
14. Fair and free election means:
(A) transparency (B) to maintain law and order
(C) regional considerations (D) role for pressure groups
15. The Chief Election Commissioner can be removed from his office underArticle :
(A) 125 (B) 352 (C) 226 (D) 324
16. The function of mass communication of supplying information regarding the processes, issues, events and societal developments is known as :
(A) content supply (B) surveillance
(C) gratification (D) correlation
17. The science of the study of feedback systems in humans, animals and machines is known as:
(A) cybernetics (B) reverse communication
(C) selectivity study (D) response analysis
18. Networked media exist in inter-connected:
(A) social environments
(B) economic environments
(C) political environments
(D) technological environments
19. The combination of computing, telecommunications and media in a digital atmosphere is referred to as:
(A) online communication (B) integrated media
(C) digital combine (D) convergence
20. A dialogue between a human-being and a computer programme that occurs simultaneously in various forms is described as:
(A) man-machine speak (B) binary chat
(C) digital talk (D) interactivity
21. Insert the missing number:
16/32, 15 /33, 17/31, 14/34 ?
(A) 19/35 (B) 19/30 (C) 18/35 (D) 18/30
22. Monday falls on 20th March 1995. What was the day on 3rd November 1994?
(A) Thursday (B) Sunday (C) Tuesday (D) Saturday
23. The average of four consecutive even numbers is 27. The largest of these numbers is:
(A)36 (B) 32 (C) 30 (D) 28
24. In a certain code, FHQK means GIRL. How will WOMEN be written in the same code?
(A) VNLDM (B) FHQKN (C) XPNFO (D) VLNDM
25. At what time between 4 and 5 O’clock will the hands of a watch point in opposite directions?
(A) 45min.past4 (B) 40 min. past 4
(C) 50 4/11 min. past 4 (D) 54 6/11 min. past 4