UGC NET Solved Paper I June 2012
1. Video-Conferencing can be classified as one of the following types of communication
(A) Visual one way
(B) Audio-Visual one way
(C) Audio-Visual two way
(D) Visual two way
2. MC National University of Journalism and Communication is located at
(A) Lucknow (B) Bhopal (C) Chennai (D) Mumbai
3. All India Radio (A.I.R.) for broadcasting was named in the year
(A) 1926 (B) 1936 (C) 1946 (D) 1956
4. In India for broadcasting TV programmes which system is followed ?
(A) NTCS (B) PAL (C) NTSE (D) SECAM
5. The term ‘DAVP’ stands for
(A) Directorate of Advertising & Vocal Publicity
(B) Division of Audio-Visual Publicity
(C) Department of Audio-Visual Publicity
(D) Directorate of Advertising & Visual Publicity
6. The term “TRP” is associated with TV shows stands for
(A) Total Rating Points
(B) Time Rating Points
(C) Thematic Rating Points
(D) Television Rating Points
7. Which is the number that comes next in the following sequence ?
2, 6, 12, 20, 30, 42, 56, _____
(A) 60 (B) 64 (C) 72 (D) 70
8. Find the next letter for the series YVSP ………
(A) N (B) M (C) O (D) L
9. Given that in a code language,
‘645’ means ‘day is warm’; ‘42’ means ‘warm spring’ and ‘634’ means ‘spring is sunny’;
which digit represents ‘sunny’ ?
(A) 3 (B) 2 (C) 4 (D) 5
10. The basis of the following classification is :
‘first President of India’ ‘author of Godan’ ‘books in my library’, ‘blue things’ and ‘students who work hard’
(A) Common names
(B) Proper names
(C) Descriptive phrases
(D) Indefinite description
11. In the expression ‘Nothing is larger than itself’ the relation ‘is larger than’ is
12. Assertion (A) : There are more laws on the books today than ever before, and more crimes being committed than ever before.
Reason (R) : Because to reduce crime we must eliminate the laws.
Choose the correct answer from below :
(A) (A) is true, (R) is doubtful and (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(B) (A) is false, (R) is true and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(C) (A) is doubtful, (R) is doubtful and (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(D) (A) is doubtful, (R) is true and (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
13. If the proposition “All men are not mortal” is true then which of the following inferences is correct ? Choose from the code given below :
1. “All men are mortal” is true.
2. “Some men are mortal” is false.
3. “No men are mortal” is doubtful.
4. “All men are mortal” is false.
(A) 1, 2 and 3
(B) 2, 3 and 4
(C) 1, 3 and 4
(D) 1 and 3
14. Determine the nature of the following
definition : “Abortion” means the ruthless murdering of innocent beings.
(A) Lexical (B) Persuasive (C) Stipulative (D) Theoretical
15. Which one of the following is not an argument ?
(A) Devadutt does not eat in the day so he must be eating at night.
(B) If Devadutt is growing fat and if he does not eat during the day, he will be eating at night.
(C) Devadutt eats in the night so he does not eat during the day.
(D) Since Devadutt does not eat in the day, he must be eating in the night.
16. Venn diagram is a kind of diagram to
(A) represent and assess the validity of elementary inferences of syllogistic form.
(B) represent but not assess the validity of elementary inferences of syllogistic form.
(C) represent and assess the truth of elementary inferences of syllogistic form.
(D) assess but not represent the truth of elementary inferences of syllogistic form.
17. Reasoning by analogy leads to
(B) definite conclusion
(C) predictive conjecture
18. Which of the following statements are false ? Choose from the code given below :
1. Inductive arguments always proceed from the particular to the general.
2. A cogent argument must be inductively strong.
3. A valid argument may have a false premise and a false conclusion.
4. An argument may legitimately be spoken of as ‘true’ or ‘false’.
(A) 2, 3 and 4
(B) 1 and 3
(C) 2 and 4
(D) 1 and 2
19. Six persons A, B, C, D, E and F are standing in a circle. B is between F and C, A is between E and D, F is to the left of D. Who is between A and F ?
20. The price of petrol increases by 25%. By what percentage must a customer reduce the consumption so that the earlier bill on the petrol does not alter ?
(A) 20% (B) 25% (C) 30% (D) 33.33%
21. If Ram knows that y is an integer greater than 2 and less than 7 and Hari knows that y is an integer greater than 5 and less than 10, then they may correctly conclude that
(A) y can be exactly determined
(B) y may be either of two values
(C) y may be any of three values
(D) there is no value of y satisfying these conditions
22. Four pipes can fill a reservoir in 15, 20, 30 and 60 hours respectively. The first one was opened at 6 AM, second at 7 AM, third at 8 AM and the fourth at 9 AM. When will the reservoir be filled ?
(A) 11 AM (B) 12 Noon (C) 1 PM (D) 1:30 PM
The total electricity generation in a country is 97 GW. The contribution of various energy sources is indicated in percentage terms in the Pie Chart given below ;
23. What is the contribution of wind and solar power in absolute terms in the electricity generation ?
(A) 6.79 GW (B) 19.4 GW (C) 9.7 GW (D) 29.1 GW
24. What is the contribution of renewable energy sources in absolute terms in the electricity generation ?
(A) 29.1 GW (B) 26.19 GW (C) 67.9 GW (D) 97 GW
25. TCP/IP is necessary if one is to connect to the
(A) Phone lines
(D) a Server
26. Each character on the keyboard of computer has an ASCII value which stands for
(A) American Stock Code for Information Interchange
(B) American Standard Code for Information Interchange
(C) African Standard Code for Information Interchange
(D) Adaptable Standard Code for Information Change
27. Which of the following is not a programming language ?
(B) Microsoft Office
28. Minimum number of bits required to store any 3 digit decimal number is equal to
29. Internet explorer is a type of
(A) Operating System
(D) IP address
30. POP3 and IMAP are e-mail accounts in which
(A) One automatically gets one’s mail everyday
(B) One has to be connected to the server to read or write one’s mail
(C) One only has to be connected to the server to send and receive email
(D) One does not need any telephone lines