UGC NET Solved Paper – I Jan 2017
1. When verbal and non-verbal messages are contradictory, it is said that most people believe in
(1) indeterminate messages (2) verbal messages
(3) non-verbal messages (4) aggressive messages
2. The typical feature of an information-rich classroom lecture is in the nature of being
(1) Sedentary (2) Staggered
(3) Factual (4) Sectoral
3. Expressive communication is driven by
(1) Passive aggression
(2) Encoder’s personality characteristics
(3) External clues
(4) Encoder-decoder contract
4. Positive classroom communication leads to
(1) Coercion (2) Submission
(3) Confrontation (4) Persuasion
5. Classroom communication is the basis of
(1) Social identity
(2) External inanities
(3) Biased passivity
(4) Group aggression
6. Effective communication pre-supposes
(1) Non-alignment (2) Domination
(3) Passivity (4) Understanding
7. The next term in the following series
YEB, WFD, UHG, SKI, ? will be
(1) TLO (2) QOL
(3) QLO (4) GQP
8. If A is coded as C, M as I, N as P, S as O, I as A, P as N, E as M, O as E and C as S, then the code of COMPANIES will be
(1) SPEINMOAC (2) NCPSEIOMA
(3) SMOPIEACN (4) SEINCPAMO
9. Among the following, identify the continuous type of data :
(1) Number of languages a person speaks
(2) Number of children in a household
(3) Population of cities
(4) Weight of students in a class
10. Ali buys a glass, a pencil box and a cup and pays Rs 21 to the shopkeeper. Rakesh buys a cup, two pencil boxes and a glass and pays Rs 28 to the shopkeeper. Preeti buys two glasses, a cup and two pencil boxes and pays Rs 35 to the shopkeeper. The cost of 10 cups will be
(1) Rs 40
(2) Rs 60
(3) Rs 80
(4) Rs 70
11. Out of four cities given below three are alike in some manner while the fourth one is different. Identify the odd one
12. Given below are some characteristics of reasoning. Select the code that states a characteristic which is not of deductive reasoning :
(1) The conclusion must be based on observation and experiment.
(2) The conclusion should be supported by the premise/premises.
(3) The conclusion must follow from the premise/premises necessarily.
(4) The argument may be valid or invalid.
13. The missing term in the series 1, 4, 27, 16, ?, 36, 343, … is
(1) 30 (2) 49
(3) 125 (4) 81
14. Men and woman may have different reproductive strategies but neither can be considered inferior or superior to the other, any more than a bird’s wings can be considered superior or inferior to a fish’s fins. What type of argument it is ?
(1) Biological (2) Physiological
(3) Analogical (4) Hypothetical
15. Among the following propositions two are related in such a way that they cannot both be true but can both be false. Select the code that states those two propositions.
(a) Every student is attentive.
(b) Some students are attentive.
(c) Students are never attentive.
(d) Some students are not attentive.
(1) (a) and (b) (2) (a) and (c)
(3) (b) and (c) (4) (c) and (d)
16. Given below are two premises ((a) and (b)). From those two premises four conclusions (i), (ii), (iii) & (iv) are drawn. Select the code that states the conclusions validly drawn from the premises (taking singly or jointly.)
Premises : (a) Untouchability is a curse.
(b) All hot pans are untouchable.
Conclusions : (i) All hot pans are curse.
(ii) Some untouchable things are hot pans.
(iii) All curses are untouchability.
(iv) Some curses are untouchability.
(1) (i) and (ii) (2) (ii) and (iii)
(3) (iii) and (iv) (4) (ii) and (iv)
17. If the statement ‘None but the brave wins the race’ is false which of the following statements can be claimed to be true ?
Select the correct code :
(1) All brave persons win the race.
(2) Some persons who win the race are not brave.
(3) Some persons who win the race are brave.
(4) No person who wins the race is brave.
18. If two standard form categorical propositions with the same subject and predicate are related in such a manner that if one is undetermined the other must be undetermined, what is their relation ?
(1) Contrary (2) Subcontrary
(3) Contradictory (4) Sub-altern
The table below embodies data on the sales revenue (Rs in lakh) generated by a publishing house during the years 2012-15 while selling books, magazines and journals as three categories of items. Answer questions 19 – 21 based on the data contained in the table.
19. The number of years in which there was an increase in revenue from at least two categories of items, is
20. If the year 2016 were to show the same growth in terms of total sales revenue as the year 2015 over the year 2014, then the revenue in the year 2016 must be approximately :
(1) Rs 194 lakh
(2) Rs 187 lakh
(3) Rs 172 lakh
(4) Rs 177 lakh
21. In 2015, approximately what percent of total revenue came from books ?
A University professor maintains data on MCA students tabulated by performance and gender of the students. The data is kept on a computer hard disk, but accidently some of it is lost because of a computer virus. Only the following could be recovered :
Panic buttons were pressed but to no avail. An expert committee was formed, which decided that the following facts were self evident :
(a) Half the students were either excellent or good.
(b) 40% of the students were females.
(c) One-third of the male students were average.
Answer questions 22 – 24 based on the data given above :
22. What proportion of female students are good ?
(1) 0 (2) 0.25
(3) 0.50 (4) 0.75
23. Approximately, what proportion of good students are male ?
(1) 0 (2) 0.73
(3) 0.43 (4) 0.27
24. How many female students are excellent ?
(1) 0 (2) 8
(3) 16 (4) 32
25. Read the following two statements :
I : Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is considered a subset of Information Technology (IT).
II : The ‘right to use’ a piece of software is termed as copyright.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are CORRECT ?
(1) Both I and II (2) Neither I nor II
(3) II only (4) I only
26. Which of the following correctly lists computer memory types from highest to lowest speed ?
(1) Secondary Storage; Main Memory (RAM); Cache Memory; CPU Registers
(2) CPU Registers; Cache Memory; Secondary Storage; Main Memory (RAM)
(3) CPU Registers; Cache Memory; Main Memory (RAM); Secondary Storage
(4) Cache Memory; CPU Registers; Main Memory (RAM); Secondary Storage
27. Which of the following statement(s) is/are TRUE ?
S1 : The decimal number 11 is larger than the hexadecimal number 11.
S2 : In the binary number 1110.101, the fractional part has the decimal value as 0.625.
(1) S1 only (2) S2 only
(3) Both S1 and S2 (4) Neither S1 nor S2
28. With regard to a word processing software, the process of combining static information in a publication together with variable information in a data source to create one merged publication is called
(1) Electronic mail (2) Data sourcing
(3) Mail merge (4) Spam mail
29. DVD technology uses an optical media to store the digital data. DVD is an acronym for
(1) Digital Vector Disc (2) Digital Volume Disc
(3) Digital Versatile Disc (4) Digital Visualization Disc
30. Assertion (A) : Sustainable development is critical to well being of human society.
Reason (R) : Environmentally sound policies do not harm the environment or deplete the natural resources.
Choose the correct code :
(1) Both (A) and (R) are correct and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
(2) Both (A) and (R) are correct, but (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(3) (A) is true and (R) is false.
(4) (A) is false and (R) is true.