UGC NET Solved Paper I Dec 2011
1. Photo bleeding means
(A) Photo cropping
(B) Photo placement
(C) Photo cutting
(D) Photo colour adjustment
2. While designing communication strategy feed-forward studies are conducted by
3. In which language the newspapers have highest circulation ?
(A) English (B) Hindi (C) Bengali (D) Tamil
4. Aspect ratio of TV Screen is
(A) 4 : 3 (B) 3 : 4 (C) 2 : 3 (D) 2 : 4
5. Communication with oneself is known as
(A) Organisational Communication
(B) Grapewine Communication
(C) Interpersonal Communication
(D) Intrapersonal Communication
6. The term ‘SITE’ stands for
(A) Satellite Indian Television Experiment
(B) Satellite International Television Experiment
(C) Satellite Instructional Television Experiment
(D) Satellite Instructional Teachers Education
7. What is the number that comes next in the sequence ?
2, 5, 9, 19, 37, ___
(A) 76 (B) 74 (C) 75 (D) 50
8. Find the next letter for the series MPSV..…
(A) X (B) Y (C) Z (D) A
9. If ‘367’ means ‘I am happy’; ‘748’ means ‘you are sad’ and ‘469’ means ‘happy and sad’ in a given code, then which of the following represents ‘and’ in that code ?
(A) 3 (B) 6 (C) 9 (D) 4
10. The basis of the following classification is ‘animal’, ‘man’, ‘house’, ‘book’, and ‘student’ :
(A) Definite descriptions
(B) Proper names
(C) Descriptive phrases
(D) Common names
11. Assertion (A) : The coin when flipped next time will come up tails.
Reason (R) : Because the coin was flipped five times in a row, and each time it came up heads.
Choose the correct answer from below :
(A) Both (A) and (R) are true, and (R) is the correct explanationof (A)
(B) Both (A) and (R) are false, and (R) is the correct explanation of (A)
(C) (A) is doubtful, (R) is true, and (R) is not the correct explanation of (A).
(D) (A) is doubtful, (R) is false, and (R) is the correct explanation of (A).
12. The relation ‘is a sister of ’ is
Ref:: “Discrete Structures Essentials” By Research & Education Association PgNo. 30
13. If the proposition “Vegetarians are not meat eaters” is false, then which of the following inferences is
correct ? Choose from the codes given below :
1. “Some vegetarians are meat eaters” is true.
2. “All vegetarians are meat eaters” is doubtful.
3. “Some vegetarians are not meat eaters” is true.
4. “Some vegetarians are not meat eaters” is doubtful.
(A) 1, 2 and 3
(B) 2, 3 and 4
(C) 1, 3 and 4
(D) 1, 2 and 4
14. Determine the nature of the following definition :
‘Poor’ means having an annual income of ` 10,000.
(A) persuasive (B) precising (C) lexical (D) stipulative
15. Which one of the following is not an argument ?
(A) If today is Tuesday, tomorrow will be Wednesday.
(B) Since today is Tuesday, tomorrow will be Wednesday.
(C) Ram insulted me so I punched him in the nose.
(D) Ram is not at home, so he must have gone to town.
16. Venn diagram is a kind of diagram to
(A) represent and assess the truth of elementary inferences with the help of Boolean Algebra of classes.
(B) represent and assess the validity of elementary inferences with the help of Boolean Algebra of classes.
(C) represent but not assess the validity of elementary inferences with the help of Boolean Algebra of classes.
(D) assess but not represent the validity of elementary inferences with the help of Boolean Algebra of classes.
17. Inductive logic studies the way in which a premise may
(A) support and entail a conclusion
(B) not support but entail a conclusion
(C) neither support nor entail a conclusion
(D) support a conclusion without entailing it
18. Which of the following statements are true ? Choose from the codes given below.
1. Some arguments, while not completely valid, are almost valid.
2. A sound argument may be invalid.
3. A cogent argument may have a probably false conclusion.
4. A statement may be true or false.
(A) 1 and 2 (B) 1, 3 and 4 (C) 4 alone (D) 3 and 4
19. If the side of the square increases by 40%, then the area of the square increases by
(A) 60 % (B) 40 % (C) 196 % (D) 96 %
20. There are 10 lamps in a hall. Each one of them can be switched on independently. The number of ways in which hall can be illuminated is
(A) 102 (B) 1023 (C) 210 (D) 10 !
21. How many numbers between 100 and 300 begin or end with 2 ?
(A) 100 (B) 110 (C) 120 (D) 180
22. In a college having 300 students, every student reads 5 newspapers and every newspaper is read by 60
students. The number of newspapers required is
(A) at least 30 (B) at most 20 (C) exactly 25 (D) exactly 5
23. What is the absolute CO2 emission from domestic sector ?
(A) 1.5 mmt (B) 2.5 mmt (C) 1.75 mmt (D) 0.75 mmt
24. What is the absolute CO2 emission for combined thermal power and transport sectors ?
(A) 3.25 mmt (B) 1.5 mmt (C) 2.5 mmt (D) 4 mmt
25. Which of the following operating system is used on mobile phones ?
(A) Windows Vista
(C) Windows XP
(D) All of the above
26. If (y)x represents a number y in base x, then which of the following numbers is smallest of all ?
(A) (1111)2 (B) (1111)8 (C) (1111)10 (D) (1111)16
27. High level programming language can be converted to machine language using which of the following ?
(A) Oracle (B) Compiler (C) Mat lab (D) Assembler
28. HTML is used to create
(A) machine language program
(B) high level program
(C) web page
(D) web server
29. The term DNS stands for
(A) Domain Name System
(B) Defense Nuclear System
(C) Downloadable New Software
(D) Dependent Name Server
30. IPv4 and IPv6 are addresses used to identify computers on the internet.
Find the correct statement out of the following :
(A) Number of bits required for IPv4 address is more than number of bits required for IPv6 address.
(B) Number of bits required for IPv4 address is same as number of bits required for IPv6 address.
(C) Number of bits required for IPv4 address is less than number of bits required for IPv6 address.
(D) Number of bits required for IPv4 address is 64.